Congratulations, you are out of braces and your teeth look great. However the journey is not quite complete because now we need to keep your teeth in the right position. Your teeth continue to move throughout your lifetime and wearing your retainer can prevent
your teeth from becoming crooked or crowded again. Follow the below retainer instructions to make sure your teeth stay straight and beautiful.
- Wear your retainer at all times, until the doctor instructs otherwise.
- Take your retainer out when eating, and always put it back in its case! (Most appliances are lost in school lunchrooms or restaurants.)
- Clean the retainer thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Use warm but not hot water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque, and eliminates odors. Efferdent® or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used but do not take the place of brushing.
- When your retainer is not in your mouth, it should ALWAYS be in its case. Pets love to chew on them!
- Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to it faster.
- Retainers are breakable, so treat yours with care. If your retainer gets lost or broken, call us immediately.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainer, or you believe it needs adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust it yourself.
- Always bring your retainer to your appointments.
- Retainer replacements are expensive, but with proper care they will last for years!
- Remove your retainer when you go swimming.
- Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.
It is very important that you follow these retainer instructions to successfully complete your orthodontic treatment and to keep your teeth looking straight and fantastic. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our Monroe office.