Invisalign vs. Metal Braces
At Mariana Orthodontics in Monroe, WA, we look at a person’s unique alignment needs and make recommendations about whether they are more likely to thrive with clear trays or more noticeable hardware. For most patients, the choice often comes down to Invisalign vs. metal braces. No matter what type of orthodontics you get, the result will be a customized, winning smile that is strong and healthy.
How to Choose Between Invisalign vs. Metal Braces
When an adult or teen needs braces, most of the time they’re interested in Invisalign and the possibility of straightening their teeth discreetly rather than sporting metal brackets and wires. It’s important to know, though, that braces are about more than aesthetics and, if you qualify for both treatments, you have a big decision to make.
- Weigh the commitment: Invisalign is removable, which means you’re responsible for the care and storage of trays when they’re not in your mouth and for wearing them 20 to 22 hours a day every day. If you know you’re likely to lose, misplace, break, or throw away aligners, metal braces may be the better choice since they’re not going anywhere for the duration of treatment.
- Respect your misalignment: Some teeth are simply not best-served by Invisalign. If you have an especially complex case, your orthodontist may recommend metal braces to address severe alignment problems more aggressively and over a longer time. Don’t worry though – ceramic and clear brackets and wires are available, so some level of discretion is still possible.
- Know your limits: People wearing metal braces must stay away from crunchy, chewy, and sticky foods so they don’t damage their hardware. Invisalign wearers can eat whatever they want. Remember, though, that all orthodontic patients experience sensitivity after adjustments that make it uncomfortable to eat anything but soft foods every several weeks.
What Makes Invisalign So Great?
It’s hard to find fault with Invisalign. This orthodontic treatment has made it possible for so many adults who didn’t want metal braces to straighten their smile.
- Discreet: Invisalign doesn’t interfere with job, social life, personal life, or relationship. The trays are difficult to see so you can speak and smile all you want without anyone noticing Invisalign.
- Comfortable: The clear trays are thin, smooth, and fit so snugly against the teeth that lips slide right over them. There are no brackets or wires to jag soft tissues in your mouth.
- Efficient: Invisalign treatment takes an average of one year for most patients, though complex cases might require longer while simpler cases may only require several months of care.
Benefits of Wearing Metal Braces
Patients who wear metal braces do often come to love their orthodontia, even if there was an Invisalign vs. metal braces conversation at the start.
- Constantly working: Invisalign is great because it’s removable, but braces are in place all the time and working constantly and consistently to correct the position of your teeth.
- Great accessory: Metal or ceramic braces use rubber bands to make archwires work. The color can be changed at every orthodontist visit to express personality, show favorite colors, or celebrate a holiday or sports team.
- Proven: It’s hard to argue with an age-old method for transforming teeth. Metal braces have improved over time with smaller brackets, better technology, and faster treatment.
Discuss Invisalign vs. Metal Braces in Monroe, WA
Whether you end up wearing brackets or wires or having customized Invisalign trays made for your teeth, both types of orthodontics require you to be committed to the treatment. Talk to Dr. Mariana to find out whether you qualify for multiple orthodontic options and which might be the best for your smile. Contact us to schedule a consultation.